Phoenix Fashion Week Interview with Nani Swimwear Designer Marissa Barlow
This year I have the pleasure of attending Phoenix Fashion Week in Phoenix, Az. I was thrilled when they reached out to me to partner with them and perhaps in the future, I will show my designs at Phoenix Fashion Week.
One perk of partnering with Phoenix Fashion Week, is that I was able to interview some amazing designers that I’ll get to see on the runway. When I came across Nani Swimwear, an active swimwear brand that “creates fashion-forward active swimwear for adventure-seeking women. Nani Swimwear inspires confidence with swimwear made for movement. Nani sets itself apart by creating unique designs that are comfortable, durable, and beautiful.”
Here’s my interview with Designer, Marissa Barlow.
- When did you realize you wanted to be a designer?
When I was a little girl, I would always play project runway with my sister and make outfits for our dolls. Then, when I was 15, I went up and asked my mom if we could start a swimsuit line together. She laughed at me. I kept sketching designs and now, four years later, we are here!
- Where do you find your inspiration for each collection?
I find inspiration in the little details of everyday life. Anything from tennis shoes to architecture and everything in between.
- What is your design process like?
I start out researching, looking for upcoming fashion trends and colors, and watching fashion weeks. Next, I make inspiration boards on Pinterest and throw every idea down on paper. From there I cut out 99% of the ideas, compile all of the good ones together, start designing or looking for fabric prints, and finally begin the tech packs.
- What’s your average day like as a designer/business owner?
I may be a designer/business owner, but I also am a full-time student and work two other part time jobs. Most days I go to school and work like a normal person, but then comes the late nights and early mornings of an entrepreneur.
- What is the biggest struggle you’ve faced as a female designer and brand?
The biggest struggle I have faced is my age and not being seen as an equal in adults eyes.
- Nani has very affordable swimwear, how is the brand able to keep it affordable?
We work hard with our factory in producing high quality products that don’t break the bank!
- Do you manufacture locally, as in the state the brand resides or the US?
We manufacture overseas.
- What are your thoughts about eco-friendly and sustainable fashion?
I believe that this is the future of fashion. We have something amazing up our sleeves for 2020 with this, I’m so stoked!!
- Where can your brand be found?
Online at naniswimwear.com or stores all over the US, Mexico, and Canada.
- What’s next after Phoenix Fashion Week?
Lots more hard work!
- What’s one piece of advice you would give to a designer starting out?
Don’t doubt yourself or listen to the people who do either. Follow your dreams and WORK HARD.
Thank you Marissa Barlow for taking the time to answer my questions. I’m looking forward to seeing your designs on the runway and meeting you in person.
You can find Nani Swimwear on Instagram @naniswimwear